In the first instance, we assess candidate capabilities and potential to work with us against the any essential and desirable criteria, alongside our capability profile.
Our capability profile reflects the core capabilities required to be successful in our organisation. All candidates, for all jobs, at all levels, are assessed against this profile to find how well they match the requirements we are looking for through the online application. For some roles, we may ask candidates to send their CV in the first instance, to review professional and technical requirements of specific roles.
Your application or CV and covering letter is used as the basis for short-listing candidates to attend the next stage in our selection process. Please ensure you read and reflect the behavioural competencies at the right job level for the role you are applying for. The job level is indicated in our current jobs listing and each job profile.
We are looking for people at all levels who are:
- Smart operators
- Our marine expertise means we work with all sorts of complex information and data, from fishing quotas and licensing to technical conservation and enforcement of UK and EU legislation. We therefore look for people who have a genuine aptitude for working with words and numbers - quickly and accurately.
Our work isn't rocket science but it is complex, challenging and demanding. So you'll need to be a quick, bright learner who can cut through complex information quickly and make good quality and timely decisions that make things happen for our customers and other stakeholders.
In responding to this requirement, please ensure you address the competency, Making effective decisions.
- People who make things happen
- We look for people who are outcome focused and get a real sense of achievement from delivering results and making things happen. So we look for people who can follow existing processes and systems and define new ones as necessary. People who make things happen are organised and work swiftly to make sure the work gets done. They hold themselves and their colleagues accountable for delivering the best solutions and results on land and at sea and are comfortable at the helm, navigating change.
- People who can navigate change
- We look for people who are naturally at ease with change, people who are adaptive and responsive to changes inside and outside their own team and the wider organisation.
There are lots of challenges for everyone involved in transferring our operations from London to Tyneside and the demands this will place on new and existing staff.
This will impact on everyone involved, so right at the outset we're looking to build a responsive organisation full of can-do people with the skills and experience to work flexibly and collaboratively.
- People who collaborate
- We look for people who are able to contribute to creating a positive team spirit through their actions, behaviours and attitudes - with colleagues in their own teams and with those from other internal and external teams and organisations. We look for people who can deliver their own results while also contributing to the wider efforts of their team and the organisation as a whole.
You'll be adept at relating to people at all levels and from a diverse range of backgrounds because people who have a talent for collaborating with others are often the people who can lead and influence new directions.
- People who can lead and influence
- We look for people who can lead and influence others through clear, accurate and engaging communications.
Leading and influencing isn't the preserve of senior managers in MMO, it involves everyone. Spotting opportunities to improve things is one thing, but taking the lead to bring about those improvements is what matters in the end. So we look for people who can communicate, lead and influence upwards, sideways and outwards - appropriately and effectively, to build and improve our reputation on a local, national and international stage.
So, if you are a smart operator who can take personal ownership for making things happen and can navigate the rapids of change while all the time working collaboratively to lead and influence yourself, others and MMO onto great things, then that's very impressive and we'd love to hear from you.